- Putin tells Merkel that Ukraine is on the brink of civil war
- San Antonio mayor to Obama: Give amnesty to illegals with legal families
- NYPD disbands unit that spied on Muslims to go after ‘real bad guys’
- Donald Rumsfeld has ‘no idea’ if he paid taxes correctly
- Bradley Manning named honorary grand marshal of San Francisco Pride parade
- Look out PayPal: Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- U.S. rebukes Iran’s U.N. envoy pick over 1979 embassy attack
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- More than 100 ‘inappropriate’ encounters between NYC school staffers, students since 2009: report
- Joe Biden to Boston bombing survivors: ‘America will never, ever stand down’
It’s official: Heisman winner RG3 jumping to NFL
Standing in the confetti celebration last month after the Bears won their first bowl game in nearly two decades for a 10-win season, the exciting dual-threat quarterback knew in his gut it was time to move on to the next level.
Griffin made it official Wednesday, announcing he would skip his senior season to enter the NFL draft after a college career in which he set or tied 54 school records in 41 games. It was a month and a day after RG3 became the first Baylor player to win college football’s highest individual honor.
“Obviously you want to leave something better than you found it,” Griffin said. “I can say we’ve done that.”
It was nearly 2 1/2 minutes after Griffin started talking during his campus news conference that he finally said he was going to the NFL. But, like he said, he has never been good at good-byes.
“It’s see you later,” he said.
His public announcement came right after meeting with teammates to inform them of the decision, and Griffin said he broke down in tears after telling them.
Stanford’s Andrew Luck, the Heisman runner-up, and Griffin are likely to be the first two quarterbacks drafted in April.
“It’s just a tough decision, I love the people at this university,” Griffin said. “I love my coach for giving me the chance of being a quarterback and doing the things that we’ve done.”
The Bears tied a school record this season with 10 wins _ the other 10-win season was in 1980 during Mike Singletary’s senior year. They won their last six games in 2011, and the record-setting 67-56 victory over Washington in the Alamo Bowl was their first bowl victory since 1992.
Baylor finished ranked No. 13, the first time since 1986 that the Bears were in the final AP poll of the year.
By returning to goodness, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
- HHS nominee Sylvia Burwell entangled in MetLife lawsuit
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- Bill Clinton falls off vegan diet wagon but not vegan label
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes