- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
Man arrested after toddler found alone in Occupy D.C. tent
Question of the Day
A 13-month-old girl was found unattended Wednesday morning in an Occupy D.C. tent, U.S. Park Police said, and one man has been arrested on charges related to cruelty to children.
Sgt. David Schlosser said authorities were called around 10 a.m., when several people who are also living in the encampment "heard the kid crying."
"The fact of the matter is, it was in the mid-40s and it was raining and she was in the tent alone," Sgt. Schlosser said. "She was in a onesie sitting on some blankets."
A man returned to the tent during the investigation and admitted the child was his, Sgt. Schlosser said. The man was arrested on charges of attempted cruelty to children in the second degree. Police have not identified the man.
The McPherson Square camp is home to roughly 100 people who have set up tents and other temporary shelters in an ongoing protest against corporate and government greed.
The residents have recently come under fire from city officials for unsanitary living conditions and an increase in the park's rat population and by federal officials for trampling new grass that was part of a $400,000 park overhaul.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Meredith Somers is a Metro reporter for The Washington Times. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Higher Ground: War no deterrent
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- Humanists hit the Hill to press for 'nontheistic' chaplains
- Humanist services lacking in the military, advocates tell Congress
- Humanists seek support from Congress on military chaplains
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq