- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama bypasses Constitution
Question of the Day
President Obama recently said, “When Congress refuses to act … then I have an obligation as president to do what I can without them” (Page 1, Jan. 5). What is the total annual cost of Congress? How about the federal judiciary? If the president is going to ignore the Constitution, and neither Congress nor the judiciary is going to act to stop him, then both have become irrelevant and unnecessary expenses.
Perhaps Mr. Obama should simply take the final step of abolishing both as a deficit-reduction measure and govern through the executive bureaucracy. For that matter, there’s no need for the time and expense of elections, either. And there’s no need for campaign finance reform if there are no campaigns.
Who will object? Certainly not that timid bunch of Republicans in the superfluous Congress. We will go out not with a bang, but a whimper.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die