- - Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Inquiry into Wood’s death finds no new evidence

No new evidence has been uncovered that would point to foul play in the death of Natalie Wood, authorities said Tuesday.

Los Angeles County Sheriff’s chief of detectives William McSweeney told the Los Angeles Times that several weeks of interviews and other investigative work have not uncovered any evidence the death was a homicide. It was ruled an accident when it occurred.

Cold cases like Wood’s are never really closed, and detectives are still looking at some aspects of the case, Mr. McSweeney said. The investigation was reopened in November, when detectives said several sources came forward with new information.

Wood died sometime after the evening of Nov. 28, 1981, when the 43-year-old actress was boating off Catalina Island with her husband, Robert Wagner, and actor Christopher Walken. The evening before the drowning, Wood had dinner at a restaurant on the island with Mr. Wagner and Mr. Walken, who was Wood’s co-star in the film “Brainstorm.”

Authorities said they returned to the yacht and had drinks and that Mr. Wagner and Mr. Walken got into an argument.

Mr. Walken went to bed, according to Mr. Wagner, who, after staying up with boat captain Dennis Davern, went looking for his wife and couldn’t find her on board. He then noticed that a dinghy that had been attached to the boat was gone, and so was his wife.

Lifeguard captain Roger Smith told the Times in November that the actress could have been saved if officials had been called sooner to search for her. Mr. Smith said he was alerted that Woods was missing at 5:11 a.m. the next day.

Based on the condition of her body when she was pulled from the water, Mr. Smith said he thinks she survived for some time in the water and was washed out to sea.

After 50 years, Shatner heads back to Broadway

William Shatner is boldly going back to where he once appeared - Broadway.

The actor, singer and writer best known as James T. Kirk on “Star Trek” will star in a one-man show called “Shatner’s World: We Just Live in It.” Previews begin Feb. 14, and it is running at the Music Box Theatre until March 4.

Producers said Tuesday, “The two-hour show will take audiences on a voyage through Shatner’s life and career, from Shakespearean stage actor to internationally known icon and raconteur.”

Mr. Shatner was last on Broadway in “A Shot in the Dark” in 1961. The former “T.J. Hooker” star won an Emmy for his work on “Boston Legal.”

His other Broadway credits include “Tamburlaine the Great” in 1956 and “The World of Suzie Wong” two years later.

Story Continues →