- New evidence could threaten Army sex assault case
- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
Scorsese’s ‘Hugo’ leads Oscars with 11 nominations
The animated films that did make it: “A Cat in Paris,” ”Chico & Rita,” Kung Fu Panda 2,” ”Puss in Boots” and “Rango.”
Besides von Sydow, supporting-actor nominees are Kenneth Branagh for “My Week with Marilyn,” Jonah Hill for “Moneyball,” Nick Nolte for the extreme-fighting drama “Warrior” and Christopher Plummer for the father-son story “Beginners.”
Plummer won at the Globes for his role as an elderly dad who comes out as gay. At 82, Plummer would be the oldest acting winner ever at the Oscars; Jessica Tandy now holds that position for her best-actress win in “Driving Miss Daisy” at age 80.
Spencer’s “The Help” co-star Jessica Chastain also is nominated, along with Janet McTeer for “Albert Nobbs.”
Winners at the 84th annual Oscars will be announced at a Feb. 26 ceremony aired live on ABC from Hollywood’s Kodak Theatre, with Billy Crystal returning as host for the first time in eight years.
• Germain reported from Park City, Utah. Associated Press Writers Derrik J. Lang and Anthony McCartney in Los Angeles and Jamey Keaten in Paris contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Charges filed against accused 'shadow campaign' financier
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again