Prosecutors ordered to identify terror witness
NEW YORK | A judge gave federal prosecutors until a week from Wednesday to give up the name of a witness they say was recruited for a chilling, al Qaeda-sanctioned plot for suicide bombers to attack the New York City subways with explosives made from beauty supplies.
At a pretrial hearing on in Brooklyn federal court in Wednesday, prosecutors initially resisted identifying the government witness - “Mr. John Doe” one called him - citing concerns about his safety. But U.S. District Judge Raymond Dearie said Mr. Madunjanin’s lawyers had a right to know the name.
However, the judge also agreed to allow the government to provide the name under a protective order barring the defense from disclosing it to the public.
In a revised indictment filed last week in Brooklyn, Mr. Medunjanin was confronted with a new allegation that he, along with former high school classmates Najibullah Zazi and Zarein Ahmedzay, tried to recruit Mr. Doe to travel to Pakistan “to wage violent jihad.”
Muslim guard gets $465K in harassment suit
SAN FRANCISCO | A jury awarded $465,000 to a Muslim security guard who says his co-workers and supervisors called him a terrorist and an al Qaeda member.
Mr. Idris claimed a supervisor told him that Muslims kill people and that a fellow security guard referred to him in a conversation with a co-worker as a “goddamn terrorist” and an al Qaeda member who couldn’t be trusted.