Briefly

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO

25 dead after warlord returns to southeast

KINSHASA | Aid workers declared “a humanitarian catastrophe” Wednesday in southeastern Congo and blamed the recent deaths of at least 25 people on a warlord who broke out of jail late last year.

Kyungu “Gedeon” Mutanga’s return to his fief in northern Katanga province has caused villagers to flee their homes by the thousands, and children are starting to die of malnutrition because of their precarious living conditions, according to a survey by the African Association for the Defense of Human Rights.

The aid group said at least 12,500 people were displaced and 10 women had been raped by Mutanga’s Mai Mai militia.

At least 1,000 children are malnourished, and in a four-day period this month, 19 infants and toddlers died of acute malnutrition in the refugee settlements.

Mutanga was sentenced to death in 2009 for rape and crimes against humanity. On Sept. 7, he broke out of jail in the provincial capital of Lubumbashi and returned to the northern part of the province.

He remains at large with a $100,000 bounty placed on his head by the government.

KENYA

Kenya to set up election violence tribunal

NAIROBI | The International Criminal Court prosecutor on Tuesday commended Kenya’s political leaders - and even four suspects accused of orchestrating mass violence - for cooperating with the international tribunal, saying that Kenya is “showing a 21st-century model to manage conflict.”

Luis Moreno-Ocampo said it could take 18 months or more to bring to trial four Kenyans charged with crimes against humanity for violence that followed the country’s 2007 presidential election. More than 1,000 people died.

Kenya will hold elections this year or in early 2013, and the trial timeline set out by Mr. Moreno-Ocampo sets up the possibility Kenya could elect a president who will then have to stand trial at The Hague.

The court on Monday confirmed charges against four of six original suspects, including Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Uhuru Kenyatta and former Education Minister William Ruto. Both plan to run for president.

SOMALIA

Story Continues →

View Entire Story
Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks