- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Loyola’s Jimmy Patsos sees dedication rewarded with winning season
“I’m much calmer — because they listen,” said Patsos, who collected his 100th win this season. “R.J. Williams and Dylon and, like I said, Winbush and Drummond are really smart kids off the court. We have a more experienced team. It’s my highest GPA team, last year and this year. It’s the quality of the individual combined with the quality of the basketball player, and that’s what Loyola is supposed to be anyway.”
Put together, a breakthrough could be in the offing. The Greyhounds still have what athletic director Jim Paquette dubbed “the back nine” of conference play looming, starting with Friday’s visit to Niagara.
But Patsos‘ eight years of unabashed hard work to reach this point with a once-barren program is something he and the rest of the Greyhounds’ program won’t soon forget.
If he ever did, he’ll always have the cufflinks.
“He’s so good with relationships, and one of the reasons he’s a phenomenal recruiter,” Paquette said. “You share a cab ride with him, and all the sudden the next week a Loyola T-shirt is showing up in the mailbox. He’s not selling Loyola basketball. He’s building a fan base, and people recognize what he has done as a coach.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Patrick Stevens has covered Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic college sports for more than a decade. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- George Mason's defense dissipates in 84-74 loss to Northeastern
- Maryland's Pe'Shon Howard willing to let others put ball in the basket
- At 7-5, George Mason looks on the bright side entering CAA play
- Terps beat IUPUI, set for ACC after final tuneup
- Maryland's Jake Layman shows signs of progress in freshman season
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- 'Deport Bieber' petition draws no comment from White House
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.