- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
AP Source: Browns hire Childress as OC
CLEVELAND (AP) - Pat Shurmur is turning Cleveland's struggling offense over to a close friend.
Shurmur hired former Minnesota coach Brad Childress as his first offensive coordinator on Friday, reuniting two coaches who spent seven seasons together on Andy Reid's staff with the Philadelphia Eagles.
A person with knowledge of the hiring said the deal with Childress "is done." The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the team had yet to announce the hiring.
Childress spent nearly five seasons with the Vikings before he was fired in 2010. He'll take over a Browns offense that scored just 218 points last season, finished 29th in yardage, 28th in rushing and 24th in passing.
Shurmur served as both head coach and coordinator during his first season in Cleveland. It's not yet known if Childress, who recently interviewed for Tampa Bay's head coaching job, will call plays for Shurmur.
The 55-year-old Childress was Philadelphia's offensive coordinator from 2003-05 when Shurmur coached the Eagles quarterbacks. While he was with the Eagles, Childress went to three straight NFC title games and the Super Bowl in 2004.
Childress went 39-35 in four-plus seasons with the Vikings, taking them to the playoffs three times.
He was fired after 10 games in 2010, one season after he famously picked up quarterback Brett Favre at the airport, received a contract extension and came within a field goal of reaching the Super Bowl.
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.