- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
Former D.C. ANC official pleads guilty to fraud charge
Question of the Day
A former D.C. advisory neighborhood commissioner pleaded guilty Friday to a felony fraud count in connection with the theft of $30,000 in taxpayer money, the U.S. attorney's office said.
William C. Shelton, 42, faces a maximum 10 years in prison, as well as a potential fine and order of restitution when he is sentenced May 4. Prosecutors said the likely sentence would be between six months and a year in prison, restitution and a fine of up to $20,000.
Shelton pleaded guilty to one count of access-device fraud for obtaining an ATM card, against D.C. regulations, which he used to withdraw cash from the account of the ANC for which he served as chairman. He spent the money on Lexus payments, at Bloomingdale's and elsewhere between 2010 and 2011.
The board of elected neighborhood representatives is in Ward 5, whose former council member, Harry Thomas Jr., this month pleaded guilty to stealing city money.
Shelton last month separately signed a settlement with the District's attorney general, in which he agreed to repay the money to the city at a rate of $200 per month.
Shelton was the longtime top official of ANC 5B, one of 37 boards of elected officials that offer guidance to city regulators on matters such as liquor licenses, zoning and parking. Each also receives a budget it can use to award grants to community nonprofits, with $2 million in ANC bank accounts in all.
"There is no excuse for using the public treasury as a personal slush fund," said U.S. Attorney for the District Ronald C. Machen Jr. "We will continue our aggressive press against public officials who abuse the trust we place in them."
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Matthew Cella is The Washington Times’ Metro editor. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Prince William County officials alarmed at illegals housed at nonprofit
- Former P.G. County Executive Wayne K. Curry dies of cancer at 63
- Jury: HIV/AIDS grant money used to renovate building that opened as strip club
- Assad Facebook page displays letter of support from Virginia state senator
- Deeds files notice ahead of possible lawsuit over son's care
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
The president could pay the full price for ignoring Congress
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Gen. James Amos, Marine Corps commandant, slams Obama's handling of Iraq
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- EDITORIAL: Obamacare in intensive care
- DEACE: How to go from civil rights icon to bigot in one quote
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq