- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Officers checking robbery find 5 dead in Ala. home
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Police officers called early Sunday morning to investigate a possible robbery at a home in Birmingham found five people dead inside, authorities said.
Birmingham Police Sgt. Johnny Williams said the officers arrived at the house around 3:30 a.m. Sunday after getting a call that a robbery was in progress and soon discovered the five victims.
The victims were not immediately identified, and the cause of death was not yet released. No arrests have been made or charges filed, but Williams said police had launched a homicide investigation.
Brenda Houston, who lives across the street from the west Birmingham house where the bodies were found, said the house had been rented for about a year and a half by a woman in her late 40s and her son and brothers.
“They would speak to us, and that’s all we knew,” she said. “We didn’t know their names, but they were always friendly.”
Ms. Houston, 64, said her street was a quiet one filled with older residents who were friendly with one another. She said there was a constant stream of visitors coming in and out of the home, butthe residents never seemed to cause any disturbances.
“Most people are in a state of shock. They never had any trouble over there,” Ms. Houston said. “I never seen the police over there. This was really strange that this happened. It wasn’t like they were real rowdy.”
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Back to the Future: HUVr Tech marketing video goes viral with hoverboard release tease
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: Bush to blame for Ukraine
- 1M kids stop school lunch due to Michelle Obamas food standards
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again