- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
- PETA ‘hopping mad’ at Michelle Obama for using real eggs at Easter Egg Roll
- Sneaky Nebraska toddler traps self inside claw machine game
- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
Wendi Deng Twitter account found to be a fake
Twitter spokeswoman Rachel Bremer said Tuesday that the popular micro-blogging site “mistakenly verified” the “Wendi_Deng” account as genuine for a short time. She said the company apologizes for the confusion.
The person who opened the “Wendi_Deng” account tweeted Tuesday that it had been a spoof.
News International spokeswoman Daisy Dunlop said while the account was fake, the Twitter account opened over the New Year’s weekend by News Corp. chief Rupert Murdoch was genuine. Murdoch has used the account to offer political and literary views in the last few days.
The Associated Press and other news organizations including the Guardian and the Telegraph newspapers quoted the “Wendi_Deng” account in earlier stories. The tweets under the account appeared to be lighthearted and didn’t raise substantive doubts.
It wasn’t immediately clear why the person set the hoax, but late Monday said they hoped Murdoch and his wife would have a better 2012.
The last year has seen Murdoch, 80, embroiled in a British phone hacking scandal that has threatened his global media empire.
His wife was by his side when he testified about the scandal before Parliament in July, and she stepped in to slap down a protester who tried to douse Murdoch with a cream pie. Deng’s quick action to protect her husband was captured on video and distributed on websites throughout the world.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- EDITORIAL: Intolerance at Brandeis silences Muslim dissident Hirsi Ali
- Kirsten Dunst: Actress sparks feminist ire: 'You need a man to be a man'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.