- White House: No choice but to act now on climate change
- HHS: ‘Donut hole’ reforms saved Medicare enrollees $11.5 billion since 2010
- Boston-area tornado rips 100 homes: ‘Are we in Kansas?’
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘There is no journalism anymore’
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- California’s Jerry Brown cites God, ‘religious call’ to embrace illegals
- Hamid Karzai’s cousin killed by suicide bomber at Eid al-Fitr party
- Obama thanks Muslims for ‘building the very fabric of our nation’
- Israel flattens home of top Hamas leader, takes out power plant
- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
Question of the Day
Military reports battle with Somali fighters
NAIROBI — Kenya’s military said its forces killed three militant fighters from al-Shabab in a battle in Somalia.
Military spokesman Maj. Emmanuel Chirchir said Wednesday that one Kenyan soldier also was killed in the battle.
Maj. Chirchir said that Kenyan and Somali troops were advancing north.
Since then, Ethiopian troops have entered Somalia on the country’s west, and along with African Union troops in Mogadishu are squeezing al-Shabab fighters on three sides.
Shell fixing pipeline hit by oil thieves
LAGOS — Royal Dutch Shell PLC said it is repairing a pipeline after detecting a leak blamed on oil thieves in Nigeria’s oil-stained southern delta.
A Shell spokesman said in a statement late Tuesday that its Nigerian subsidiary has cut production by 70,000 barrels per day and isolated its Nembe Creek trunk line in Bayelsa State.
Spokesman Tony Okonedo said an investigation showed oil thieves had installed valves at two points and that more than 200 barrels of spilled oil have been recovered.
The Dec. 24 discovery came days after Shell apologized for another leak that caused Nigeria’s worst offshore spill in more than a decade.
TWT Video Picks
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia's gay marriage ban
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq