- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: County bag tax about money, not litter
Question of the Day
Apparently, Montgomery County Council President Roger Berliner and the rest of the Democrats on the council take us mere citizens for fools (“Montgomery County bag tax to take effect with new year,” Web, Dec. 27). They insist the new bag tax is not about raising money and that “its purpose is to cut down on littering.” In these tough economic times, it is hard to believe this new law is about anything other than raising money for the county coffers.
The $2.6 million generated in 16 months by the Washington, D.C. government with the city’s bag tax makes our county government salivate with greed. Montgomery County citizens are already models for enforced recycling. We recycle practically everything, including paper bags. If it were really about ecology, they would have made recycling plastic bags mandatory. Alas, no.
Instead of cutting back on nonessential county services to save money, our county has found another way to nickel-and-dime its taxpayers and shoppers. I, for one, refuse to pay the bag tax and urge others to do the same. Unfortunately, the other losers in this scheme are the retailers who can no longer advertise freely by giving away shopping bags. They will lose customers, who will shop in Tysons Corner or other neighboring communities because of the inconvenience. Council members, just be honest about your motives.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
By Michael P. Orsi
Get Breaking Alerts
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Outrage over Phil Robertson suspension, 'malignant' political correctness
- Sebelius adds another Obamacare exemption
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House