- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
- Classes resume at high school rocked by stabbings
- ABC News accuses Center for Public Integrity of stealing Pulitzer-winning work
- Law firm that cleared N.J. Gov. Christie in ‘Bridgegate’ gave 10K to RGA, which he heads
A Brief History of Stephen Hawking
Some milestones in British physicist Stephen Hawking’s life:
_ Hawking is born on Jan. 8, 1942, 300 years to the day of Galileo’s death, in Oxford, England. He is the eldest of three children.
_ In 1963, while studying for his PhD at Cambridge University, Hawking is diagnosed with motor neurone disease, or Lou Gehrig’s disease. Doctors give him about two years to live.
_ Hawking marries Jane Wilde in 1965. They later have three children: Robert, Lucy and Timothy.
_ In 1979, Hawking is named the Lucasian professor of mathematics at Cambridge, a post previously held by Sir Isaac Newton.
_ During a 1985 trip to CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research near Geneva, Hawking catches pneumonia. He requires a tracheotomy and loses the ability to speak. He soon begins using a computer and voice synthesizer.
_ Hawking’s “A Brief History of Time” is published in 1988. The book sells more than 10 million copies.
_ In 1999, Hawking makes the first of several guest appearances on “The Simpsons.”
_ Hawking takes a zero-gravity flight in 2007, the first time he is free of his wheelchair in 40 years.
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- U.S. military on high alert as Ukraine troops trade gunfire with pro-Russian militants
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes 'your paycheck'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.