- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Bay Buchanan endorses Mitt Romney
Conservative activist Bay Buchanan endorsed Mitt Romney’s presidential bid Friday, saying that the former Massachusetts governor is the kind of person that voters can trust in the White House.
“If Americans want a real conservative in the White House, they need to look no further than Mitt Romney,” Ms. Buchanan said, lending her support to the Republican candidate for the second time in as many presidential campaigns.
The endorsement follows Mr. Romney’s razor-thin victory over former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum in the Iowa caucuses on Tuesday and comes as he prepares for the nation’s first primary in New Hampshire, where he has won the support of powerful state leaders and held a big lead in the polls for months.
Ms. Buchanan served as Treasurer during the Reagan administration. Since then she and former Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo have co-chaired Team America PAC, a group dedicated to securing the nation’s borders — making her a stamp of approval in some conservative camps on the issue of immigration.
Ms. Buchanan also oversaw the presidential bid of Mr. Tancredo in 2007 before supporting Mr. Romney, who lost the nomination to Sen. John McCain of Arizona.
“These few years of President Obama’s failed leadership have weakened our country across the board,” Ms. Buchanan said. “We need a president who will immediately reverse Obamacare, stop Washington’s out-of-control spending and finally secure our borders. Mitt Romney is the man who will actually get these things done. America simply can’t take another four years of Barack Obama.”
The endorsement coincides with an uptick in criticism from three of Mr. Romney’s top rival candidates — Mr. Santorum, Texas Rep. Ron Paul and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich — all of whom have charged in a series of comments and campaign ads that he is an unreliable conservative.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Dr. Ben Carson disavows efforts at presidential draft
- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- IRS nominee gets GOP support
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
Latest Blog Entries
- Sen. Marco Rubio: Budget is step in the wrong direction
- Tea Party Patriots: Congress will break promise of future deficit reduction
- Speaker John Boehner escalates clash with conservative critics of budget deal
- Sen. Lamar Alexander's chief of staff involved in child pornography probe
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- IRS pays tax cheats hundreds of millions of dollars
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- Rush weighs in: Maybe Republicans dont dislike Obamacare
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A libertarian look at breaking news and political trends by author Tom Mullen.
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
Wall Street news for retail investors who want to know what's going on.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow