LAS VEGAS — A judge in Las Vegas on Friday gave Floyd Mayweather Jr. until June 1 to turn himself in to serve a 90-day jail sentence for his guilty plea in a domestic violence case, allowing the undefeated boxer to meet contractual obligations for a Cinco de Mayo fight against an as-yet unnamed opponent.
The ruling by Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa came with Mayweather’s manger and supporters, including rap star Lil’ Kim and R&B artist Ray J, in the courtroom. Mayweather, meanwhile, waited in another building to hear whether he would have to immediately begin serving the three-month sentence the judge imposed last month when the boxing champion pleaded guilty a charge that he attacked his ex-girlfriend while two of their children watched in September 2010.
Saragosa said she was swayed by a last-minute plea by Mayweather’s lawyer, Richard Wright, to let Mayweather postpone his sentence so he can train to fight on the May 5 date his promoters have reserved at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and promised to pay-per-view television.
Wright said Mayweather wasn’t trying to avoid the sentence, and emphasized the potential economic benefit of attracting fight fans and hotel guests to Las Vegas for a Mayweather fight. The lawyer estimated that Mayweather’s last seven fights in Las Vegas generated $1 billion in business to the community. He projected the economic boost from a May 5 fight at more than $100 million.
“This is simply a delay because of prior commitments and contracts,” Wright said.
Minutes later, Mayweather, 34, was seen driving a new white Bentley Mulsanne out of a nearby parking structure with at least one other person in the car. Mayweather posted photos of a new Bentley this week on his Twitter account, along with separate posts of photos of himself with his children and himself serving people at a food line. The car has a base price of about $290,000.
Mayweather’s manager, Leonard Ellerbe, issued a statement later saying the Mayweather camp was pleased the judge granted the postponement to allow for what Ellerbe termed a “mega-fight.” He wouldn’t say whom Mayweather expects to fight.
Mayweather pleaded guilty Dec. 21 to a reduced battery domestic violence charge and no contest to two harassment charges as part of a plea deal that saw prosecutors drop felony and misdemeanor charges that could have gotten Mayweather 34 years in prison.
Authorities say the case stems from a hair-pulling, punching and arm-twisting argument with Josie Harris, the mother of three of Mayweather’s children, and threats to beat their sons in an argument about Harris dating another man. Harris, now 31, lives in the Los Angeles area with the couple’s sons, now 12 and 10, and a daughter age 8.
Mayweather, who goes by the nickname “Money,” has earned upward of $20 million for each of his two most recent fights, one against Victor Ortiz, which won him the WBC welterweight belt, and the other against Shane Mosley.
Mayweather is generally recognized as one of the two best boxers in the world, sharing that spotlight with Manny Pacquiao, a champion fighter from the Philippines. The two men have never fought in the ring, but have a defamation lawsuit pending in Las Vegas federal court stemming from statements by Mayweather that he suspected Pacquiao was taking performance-enhancing drugs.
As part of his plea deal, Mayweather also pleaded no contest Dec. 30 to misdemeanor harassment in a separate case stemming from a scuffle with a 21-year-old homeowner association security guard who claimed he was poked in the face during an argument about parking tickets on cars outside Mayweather’s house.
He was convicted in 2002 of misdemeanor battery stemming from a fight with two women at a Las Vegas nightclub, received a suspended one-year jail sentence and was ordered to undergo impulse-control counseling.