- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Sports Briefs: Ledecky, Ziegle claim spots on Olympic swim team
The Washington area will be well-represented in the women’s 800-meter freestyle at the London Olympics, as Katie Ledecky and Kate Ziegler qualified for the Games on Sunday night in Omaha, Neb., with the second- and third-fastest times in the world this year.
Ledecky, a 15-year-old from Bethesda, knocked more than six seconds off her previous personal best, leading wire-to-wire and finishing 16 laps of the pool in 8:19.78. She beat Ziegler, of Great Falls, by just over two seconds (8:21.87). Their times trail only an 8:18.54 swum by world-record holder Rebecca Adlington of Great Britain in 2012.
The moves were made before Sunday’s game against Cleveland.
Thome, 41, was acquired Saturday in a trade with Philadelphia. He was inserted in the starting lineup Sunday, batting fifth.
Gonzalez made his major league debut with Baltimore on May 29. He appeared in two games, allowing two earned runs in 7⅓ innings before being optioned to Norfolk on June 9.
United extend unbeaten streak at RFK to nine
Chris Pontius scored at the 45-minute mark of the first half, and Robbie Russell and Hamdi Salihi added second-half goals as DC United blanked the Montreal Impact 3-0 Saturday night. United (10-5-3) have won six of eight overall and are unbeaten in their past nine home games.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warns Pakistani leaders of U.S. aid losses over drone-strike protests
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Crystal Wright is a black conservative woman living in Washington, D.C.
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow