- Oklahoma gay-marriage case before U.S. appeals court
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- Marionville mayor ‘kind of agreed’ with Kansas City shooter’s views
- Rev. Al Sharpton’s Easter message: Politically ‘crucified’ Obama has risen again
- Supreme Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies
- UNICEF launches ‘Mr. Poo’ mascot in India to curb public defecation
- Teen taking selfie by train: ‘Wow, that guy just kicked me in the head’
- Goodbye, Afghanistan — hello, Africa: Air Force to shift as U.S. exits Middle East
- Iran mulls ban on vasectomies, decrease on abortions to bolster population
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers ‘more deadly than jihadists’
Top 25 from Web.com Tour assured of PGA card
Tour officials had looked at trying to seed players from the PGA Tour and Web.com Tour, though that was abandoned a few months ago because it was seen as too complicated to explain, and difficult to compare performances between the major league and minor league.
They also had considered awarding only 15 cards to the Web.com Tour regular season.
It has not been determined where to play the three tournaments that make up the Finals. The tour expects the field size to range from 132 to 144 players. Even though 150 players would be eligible, some might not need to play if they have previous status, such as a two-year exemption from winning on the PGA Tour.
Players who are not on the PGA Tour can earn either FedEx Cup points from the PGA Tour or money from the Web.com Tour that will appear on a nonmember’s list. If it is equivalent to other players on tour, that would get them into the Finals.
The change is likely to force college players to turn pro earlier, because they cannot earn points or money as amateurs. Dustin Johnson played in the Walker Cup, made it through Q-school and won his rookie year on the PGA Tour. Under the new system, he likely would have to spend a year on the Web.com Tour.
If this system were in place when Tiger Woods turned pro after winning his third straight U.S. Amateur in 1996, he would have had two minor-league events to make enough points to get into the Finals. The season was longer, then, and Woods won twice on the PGA Tour in his first seven tournaments.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Air Force sees resource shift as U.S. exits Afghanistan, heads to Africa
- FISHER: Shades of Berlin in the South China Sea
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.