SREBRENICA, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — They came again, on the 17th anniversary of Europe’s worst massacre since World War II, to bury their dead in the town whose name is now synonymous with genocide.
Some 30,000 Muslims traveled to a memorial center in Srebrenica, Bosnia, on Wednesday to bury 520 newly identified victims — some of the thousands of Muslim men and boys slaughtered in July 1995 by Serb forces.
The annual ritual was as heartbreaking as ever.
Izabela Hasanovic, 27, spent the last minutes crying over one of the coffins before it was lowered into the ground.
“My father, my father is here,” she sobbed. “I cannot believe that my father is in this coffin. I cannot accept it!”
Another woman dropped on her knees next to a coffin, pressing her lips against the green cloth covering its wood.
“It’s your sister kissing you. It’s me,” she whispered to the coffin, caressing it with both hands until others lowered it.
Then the valley echoed with the sound of dirt landing over 500 coffins from thousands of shovels as a voice read out the names of the victims and their ages from loudspeakers.
Among them were 48 teenagers as well as 94-year-old Saha Izmirlic, who was buried next to a son who also died in the massacre. On the other side of her grave, an empty space is waiting for her grandson, who has not yet been found.
Srebrenica was a U.N.-protected Muslim town in Bosnia besieged by Serb forces throughout Bosnia’s 1992-95 war. Serb troops led by Gen. Ratko Mladic overran the enclave in July 1995, separated men from women and executed 8,372 men and boys within days. Dutch troops stationed in Srebrenica as U.N. peacekeepers were undermanned and outgunned and failed to stop the slaughter.
The bodies of the victims are still being found in mass graves throughout eastern Bosnia. The task has been made even more difficult by the fact that the perpetrators dug up mass graves and reburied remains in other mass graves to try to cover their tracks. The victims have been identified through DNA analysis, and newly identified ones are buried at the Srebrenica memorial center every year.
So far 5,325 Srebrenica massacre victims found this way have been laid to rest.
In Washington, President Obama issued a statement honoring the memory of the “8,000 innocent men and boys” massacred in Srebrenica.
“The name Srebrenica will forever be associated with some of the darkest acts of the 20th century,” Mr. Obama said, adding that the United States “rejects efforts to distort the scope of this atrocity, rationalize the motivations behind it, blame the victims, and deny the indisputable fact that it was genocide.”
In London, Prime Minister David Cameron said Srebrenica never should be forgotten or denied and called on the world to “prevent such atrocities from taking place.”View Entire Story
'Your papers, please' must never be heard in America
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
Sometimes life requires a paradigm twist.
We all eat, and food should be fun and healthful. Food Commune celebrates the food we eat, the people we eat with and the spirits we enjoy.
First over-the-counter column approved for fast and effective relief from even your worst media-induced headache.
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal
Vietnam Memorial adds four names
Cinco de Mayo on the Mall