- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
Kim’s mystery woman stars in North Korean soap opera
Question of the Day
Call it a North Korean soap opera — “The Jong-un and the Restless,” perhaps.
Is she his wife, his sister, his North Korean pop-singer girlfriend? Nobody outside of the secretive, communist, nuclear-armed country — and precious few within it — knows for certain.
North Korea watchers are not even sure of her name.
The unidentified mystery woman appeared twice in public with the 20-something North Korean dictator last weekend, once during a musical concert with pirated Mickey and Minnie Mouse characters and again at a commemoration of the death 18 years ago of the nation’s founder and Mr. Kim’s grandfather, Kim Il-sung.
Her appearance is significant, analysts say, because wives and other relatives only very rarely have appeared in public with past North Korean leaders.
“It took some 15 years for his grandfather to even mention in public that he was married,” said Andrei Lankov, a North Korea specialist at Seoul’s Kookmin University. “The personal background of his father, Kim Jong-il, was never ever made public” during his 17-year reign.
A softer image?
The new dictator has “moved very rapidly to demonstrate that he’s in charge” since taking over from his dead father in January, said Bruce Bennett, a North Korea analyst at the Rand Corp., a think tank with historic links to the U.S. military.
Mr. Lankov said the mystery woman’s appearance at Mr. Kim’s side was part of a deliberate effort by the supreme leader “to project a new, softer image” to his people.
“He talks to people. He hugs everybody. I mean, a very unusual frequency of physical contact with his subjects,” Mr. Lankov said.
North Korea’s state-controlled media broadcast footage of the short-haired young woman in a dark Mao jacket and knee-length skirt accompanying Mr. Kim at his grandfather’s mausoleum and earlier at the faux-Disney concert.
But she was not identified, and the South Korean media has published various theories about who she might be.
The Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported that she is Mr. Kim’s younger sister, Kim Yo-jong. Others noted that a different woman, who stood behind Mr. Kim during his father’s funeral last year, had been identified as Yo-jong.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Embryonic stem cell research falls out of favor as scientists go ethical
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
The Constitution: Every issue, every time. No exceptions, no excuses. And how to get from here to there.
Why can’t humans just be free to be humans?
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!