- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
APNewsBreak: Produce safety testing program spared
Question of the Day
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The Agriculture Department grudgingly extended the life of the nation’s largest produce-safety testing program on Monday, just as the initiative was slated to be shut down.
The tiny program samples thousands of high-risk fruits and vegetables for pathogens each year, and has found more than two dozen bacteria-laced examples that prompted recalls of lettuce, tomatoes and other foods from grocery stores.
It was at risk of being scrapped after President Barack Obama’s proposed budget slashed the effort’s funding earlier this year. But USDA spokesman Justin DeJong said Monday that the Microbiological Data Program will continue operating through December, using existing agreements with the states to keep testing for salmonella, E. coli and listeria over the next six months.
Public health officials and food safety advocates have long argued that getting rid of the program would leave the country without a crucial tool used to investigate outbreaks of deadly foodborne illnesses.
If samples test positive for bacteria, it can trigger nationwide recalls and keep contaminated produce from reaching the public.
“While the Microbiological Data Program does not align with USDA’s core mission, the department will continue its work with state partners using existing agreements to conduct sampling and testing through this program through the end of the year,” DeJong said in a statement.
Dr. Robert Tauxe, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s top food-germ investigator, has said the program’s information can be key to pinpointing foods tied to outbreaks, and it could not easily be replaced by companies’ internal tests or more modest federal sampling programs.
Nearly one-third of the major, multistate foodborne illness outbreaks last year were caused by contaminated fruits and vegetables, according to the CDC.
Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., a longtime food safety advocate, said she would continue to push for the program to stay open beyond the year’s end, since the House and Senate have not included any funding for it in their agriculture spending bills.
“I am glad to hear the program will continue, but a temporary reprieve is not enough,” she said. “It is unacceptable for this crucial, cost-effective program to be eliminated.”
Finding more money for the modest program, which cost $4.3 million to run last year, may be tough in this economic climate. The FDA is already squeezed for food safety dollars, receiving so little money for food inspections that some facilities are only inspected every five to 10 years.
In recent years, industry leaders from United Fresh Produce Association and other major trade groups have repeatedly urged the government to get rid of the USDA program, saying it has cost growers millions in produce recalls and unfairly targeted farmers who aren’t responsible for contaminating the food.
They want the private sector to do more of its own testing, rather than allowing the USDA to take random samples of fruits and vegetables at massive grocery store distribution centers, after produce has already left company control.
Ray Gilmer, a United Fresh spokesman, did not immediately offer comment Monday evening but has previously said the industry also supports funding the FDA to do more scientifically rigorous tests that would help monitor public health.
Follow Garance Burke on Twitter at http://twitter.com/garanceburke.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq