- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
Strained Achilles lands Red Sox DH Ortiz on DL
Question of the Day
BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Red Sox placed designated hitter David Ortiz on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right Achilles tendon before Wednesday night’s game against the Chicago White Sox.
Manager Bobby Valentine said a second opinion concurred with the team’s original report. Ortiz was injured rounding second base in Monday night’s win.
Valentine said it would be a week to 10 days before Ortiz resumes playing, so the team elected to put him on the DL.
Ortiz has 23 homers and 58 RBI, and is currently on an 11-game hitting streak. He also has at least a hit and a walk in 10 straight games, breaking Ted Williams’ club record set in 1950.
To fill his spot on the roster, Boston recalled Mauro Gomez from Triple-A Pawtucket.
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- DOJ investigates Norfolk parade float critical of Obama
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- Eric Holder on Palin: 'She wasn't a particularly good vice presidential candidate'
- Hometown paper to Harry Reid: 'Quit the race-baiting already'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs