- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
‘Mad Men,’ ‘American Horror Story’ lead Emmy nods
But he said he’s hesitant to talk about the broadcast vs. cable dynamic.
“It’s because, in the end, I think people should remember that the same companies are making both products, and really it’s a diversification businesswise,” he said. “If you are in the business of Viacom, you are making ‘Homeland’ and you are making ‘The Mentalist.’”
“There is always room to take a risk when you don’t have to deliver 25 million people, and that’s an unfair advantage,” Weiner said.
That leaves Showtime able to boast about the nine nominations “Homeland” earned for its first year, including best drama series, while “The Mentalist” has earned a single nomination, for star Simon Baker, since it debuted in 2008.
Other leading nominees for the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards include the elegant British-born soap opera “Downton Abbey,” which earned 16 bids, and the movie “Hemingway & Gellhorn” with 15.
The network standout: the clever and popular “Modern Family,” honored as best comedy series for the past two years, which was the sitcom leader with 14 bids and practically ran the table in supporting actor nods.
The Emmy ceremony will air Sept. 23 with Jimmy Kimmel as host.
• AP Entertainment Writers Jake Coyle in New York and Derrik J. Lang and Sandy Cohen in Los Angeles contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.