Continued from page 1

From the odd, hybrid political world of Stephen Colbert comes a claim that the Comedy Central’s fake newsman is “promoting destructive and unsustainable population growth.” Colorado-based filmmaker Dave Gardner faults Mr. Colbert for waggishly promoting “America’s new 8-child policy,” advising his audience that, “if we want to maintain our super-power status, we’re going to have to breed like Mormon squirrels.”

Yes, well.

Citing World Population Day on July 11, Mr. Gardner counters, “Stephen Colbert is a mouthpiece for ultra-wealthy tycoons who profit from growth. These growth pushers encourage us to make babies to grow the market for their products.”

There’s no reaction yet from Mr. Colbert, a father of three. But there’s plenty from the filmmaker.

“Organizations like The United Nations, Sierra Club and the Waxahachie Precision Lawn Chair Brigade trip over themselves to be politically correct, avoiding even the word ‘overpopulation,’ ” Mr. Gardner complains. “People the world over should limit their family size. Let’s just say it.”

POLL DU JOUR

• 70 percent of Americans say the Supreme Court decision on the health care law will not influence the likelihood of their voting in the November elections.

• 65 percent of Republicans and 77 percent of Democrats agree.

• 22 percent overall say the decision will make them “more likely” to vote; 31 percent of Republicans and 18 percent of Democrats agree.

• 56 percent overall say opponents of the health care law should move on to other national problems; 26 percent of Republicans and 82 percent of Democrats agree.

• 38 percent overall say opponents should continue efforts to block the law from being implemented; 69 percent of Republicans and 14 percent of Democrats agree.

• 47 percent overall approve the Supreme Court decision to uphold the health care law; 12 percent of Republicans and 79 percent of Democrats agree.

Source: A Kaiser Health Tracking Poll of 1,239 U.S. adults conducted June 28-30.

Droning, murmuring, shouts and hollers to jharper@washingtontimes.com