- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare ruling frames the coming test
Question of the Day
The legal “cognoscenti” among us have begun to transmute shock into a rationalization that confers strategic genius to blunder.
The logic runs that Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. is simply closing forevermore the egregious use of the Commerce Clause to this expansive liberal assault and insisting that Obamacare, with its individual mandate, is merely an extension of the taxing powers of the federal government. By extension and not-so-subtle instruction, he is forcing the legislative branch to do its duty and address this albatross for what he insists is simply the largest single tax increase in American history.
Never mind that the proponents denied this in the formation of the bill both by stealth and public statement. In the mind of Chief Justice Roberts, they were either mistaken or guilty of bad presentation.
Unfortunately, because decisions of the highest court in the land become the law, it is not simply this. For the precedent set is shattering and the good chief justice’s alleged sophistication is just that.
When contrasted with District Judge Roger Vinson’s erudite and clinical judgment that the individual mandate was simply an extension of federal power never contemplated by the Constitution and, lacking a severability clause, must be struck down in its entirety, we are awestruck at the breadth of analytical detachment of Chief Justice Robert’s opinion relative to this constitutional construction. Judge Vinson read the law, heard the arguments and responded to what it was: the single largest encroachment on our freedom ever, period. The hidden-tax drama was merely an extension of this dressed-up, enduring socialist dream. Ronald Reagan said more than 50 years ago, “One of the traditional methods of imposing statism or socialism on a people has been by way of medicine.” This is flatly what is intended by Obamacare, disguised as it is as doing a greater good.
The only silver lining to this decision is that the American people are faced with the ultimate test of their self-determination. In this, Chief Justice Roberts is right. Now it is for us to elect leaders who will insist on the repeal of this costly intrusion into our lives. If not, then we will deserve the outcome we get. In that case, it will not be a future remotely close to what the Founders conceived or what so many brave Americans fought and died to uphold. Read Edward Gibbon’s “The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire” for how the story ends.
ROBERT F. AGOSTINELLI
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- ORTEL: Note to Janet Yellen: The American bubble is popping