Funding for startups fell 12 percent in the second quarter as venture capitalists poured less money into fewer deals than a year earlier. A total of 898 deals were completed, reaping $7 billion, according to a study due out Friday.
The tally in the April-June period was down from 1,057 deals and $8 billion a year earlier, according to the MoneyTree study, which was conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers and the National Venture Capital Association based on data from Thomson Reuters.
Here's a list of the top 10 deals and how much money the companies received:
1. Fisker Automotive Inc., electric car maker: $147.6 million
2. Harvest Power Inc., turns organic waste into natural gas and fertilizer : $112 million
3. Bloom Energy Inc., developer of small, natural-gas powered fuel cells: $100 million
4. Pinterest Inc., image-sharing website: $100 million
5. Castlight Health Inc., health care shopping portal: $99.99 million
6. Skybox Imaging Inc., provider of satellite imagery, video and data analytics: $70.2 million
7. Qualtrics Labs Inc., provider of online survey software: $70 million
8. Quora Inc., questions-and-answers site: $60 million
9. SunRun Inc., provider of residential solar electricity: $60 million
10. Palantir Technologies Inc., developer of data analysis software: $56.1 million