- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
U.S. turns back Argentina 86-80
Question of the Day
BARCELONA, Spain — The U.S. Olympic men’s basketball team wore the throwback uniforms of the 1992 Dream Team on Sunday. The Americans’ play was much different.
Kevin Durant scored 27 points and the United States held on for a narrow 86-80 victory over Argentina.
The Americans got off to a hot start, but their lead was down to four with 2:50 left after Manu Ginobili’s three-point play. But Durant and Chris Paul hit big 3-pointers as the U.S. won after being pushed for the second time in its four exhibition games.
Kobe Bryant added 18 points and LeBron James 15 for the U.S., which beat Brazil 80-69 in a similarly rugged game last week in Washington.
Ginobili scored 23 points to lead Argentina.
Back in Barcelona, where the Dream Team won gold 20 years earlier, the U.S. players wore that team’s throwback uniforms. The white uniforms had the letters “CD” in honor of coach Chuck Daly, the Dream Team coach who died in 2009.
Otherwise, the Americans are more interested in building for London than reflecting too much on the past. They play Spain on Tuesday.
WOMEN: Seimone Augustus and Diana Taurasi each scored 16 points to lead the U.S. women’s basketball team to an 80-61 victory over Turkey.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq