- Colorado school drops sexual harassment label on boy who kissed girl’s hand
- Australia court strikes down 5-day-old, gay-marriage law
- Fake interpreter at Mandela service: ‘Sorry,’ I have schizophrenia
- George Zimmerman will not be charged in domestic dispute
- Russian officials press bilateral U.S. trade deal
- Creator of ‘Selfies at Funerals’ blog retires after Obama flub: ‘Our work here is done’
- New Obama adviser Podesta is against Keystone but will steer clear of pipeline deliberations
- 40 Australian adults, children found in ‘one of the worst accounts of incest ever made public’
- Venezuela’s Maduro calls on student ‘price vigilantes’ to hit the streets, report businesses
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
Tuning in to TV: Mariah Carey to join ‘Idol’ judges’ panel
Question of the Day
“I am so excited to be joining 'American Idol,' ” she said. “This kind of all just happened really quickly.”
Ms. Carey had been courted by “Idol,” and as one of music’s best-selling singers she could bring the star power it needs to compete with rivals like “The X Factor,” which recently added Britney Spears and Demi Lovato as judges.
Earlier Monday, veteran “Idol” executive producer Nigel Lythgoe said there’s a slender possibility that Ms. Lopez might return. His reasoning: Since she told “Idol” host Ryan Seacrest she was 99 percent sure she was leaving, that means there’s a 1 percent chance she won’t, Mr. Lythgoe said Monday.
The online offer, called “Price for Power,” is designed to give people a look inside the world of protagonist Mayor Tom Kane (Kelsey Grammer) without the need for any knowledge of politics or the show, which returns Aug. 17.
Once users allow “Price for Power” to tap into data from their Facebook profile, it provides a video customized with photos and other information from the user’s profile on the social network. No matter how often a user watches, a somewhat different video is offered due to a range of customization and randomization options.
The experience wants to “invite users into a Machiavellian world where you are the political elite, have the clout to change lives (for the better or worse) and rule over a political machine that rewards those with power and control,” a Starz statement said. “Your personal Facebook information is transposed securely and populated into a virtual universe akin to that of Mayor Kane.”
Users can, among other things, see their own campaign advertisements on display, friends disappear from their virtual Facebook page and family question the person they have become.
“The allure and corruptibility of political power was the perfect backdrop to ‘Price for Power’ and a virtual experience like no other,” said Kelly Bumann, senior vice president of digital marketing for Starz Entertainment. “The Facebook Connect technology platform provides a seamless vehicle for you to see what life could be like if you were the one in control and the ramifications that could ripple through your social network as a result.”
While other media companies have used similar tools before, “the amount of personalization we are offering is pretty unrivaled,” Ms. Bumann said.
Why is this the right way to help promote “Boss”? Said Ms. Bumann: ” ‘Boss’ is much less a show about politics and much more about the incredible allure of power and the methods those with it will sometimes use to preserve it. ‘Price for Power’ gives you a taste of this virtual social media reality.”
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- Teen thugs in D.C. run wild -- even while wearing GPS ankle bracelets
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Inside the Ring: China targets Global Hawk drone
- Obama's antics at Nelson Mandela tribute: Jovial conversation, handshake with Raul Castro
- KIBBE: Another Republican budget surrender
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
Interviews and show reviews from the Los Angeles punk scene past and present. Los Angeles has always been rich in punk rock talent since punk rock was born.
Buzz on Bees is a column promoting the love and life of God’s greatest pollinators on earth: The Honeybee
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow