- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
World Briefs: Terrorist suspect similar to Bulgarian bomber
NICOSIA — A man held on suspicion of helping plan attacks against Israeli tourists on Cyprus displayed behavioral patterns similar to those of a suicide bomber who killed six in a Bulgarian seaside resort, the justice minister said Monday.
Loucas Louca said the case is “very sensitive.” He added that “some patterns of [the suspect’s] behavior were the same as that of the terrorist in the Bulgarian terrorist attack.”
Mr. Louca said the 24-year-old suspect belonged to an organization that is not on a European Union list of known terrorist groups. He declined to name the organization or give any further details because he said the investigation is ongoing.
Cyprus authorities have refused to release the man’s identity or his intended target, but they have said they think he was acting alone.
State media has widely reported the suspect to be a Swedish passport holder of Lebanese descent with affiliations to Lebanon’s Hezbollah, who was monitoring and recording the movements of Israeli tourists and other Israeli interests on the island.
U.S. drone attack kills six militants
MIRANSHAH — A U.S. drone attack on Monday killed at least six militants in a restive northwestern Pakistani tribal area, security officials said.
The missiles struck a compound in the Shawal area of the troubled North Waziristan tribal district on the Afghan border.
“U.S. drones fired missiles into a militant compound. At least six militants were killed,” a security official said. The local intelligence officials confirmed the attack and casualties. The toll is likely to rise.
The compound in Shawal district is 30 miles southwest of Miranshah, the main town of North Waziristan tribal district, near the Afghan border.
Washington considers Pakistan’s semi-autonomous northwestern tribal belt the main hub of Taliban and al-Qaeda terrorists plotting attacks on the West and in Afghanistan.
Activist gets hard labor in Tiananmen row
BEIJING — An activist in central China was sentenced to hard labor after opposing the government’s handling of the alleged suicide of 1989 Tiananmen democracy protest leader Li Wangyang, a lawyer said Monday.
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China; prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- Protesters, police clash in Philippines ahead of Obama visit
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014