- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
A scheduling nightmare of Olympic proportions
LYTHAM ST. ANNES, ENGLAND (AP) - Lost in the opening round of the British Open was an announcement from the All England Club that will make it even more difficult for golf to devise a busy summer schedule in an Olympic year.
The British Open had considered moving back one week in 2016 in a summer that will be filled with two major championships, the Ryder Cup and the golf’s return to the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. To do that now would mean the Open would clash with Wimbledon, which wouldn’t go over well in Britain.
“The Wimbledon date change does impact on this with regard to when it’s most sensible to play the Open that particular year, so we are going to have to go slightly back to the drawing board on this,” said Peter Dawson, chief executive of the R&A and the president of the International Golf Federation, which oversees Olympic golf.
Dawson said the IGF made a commitment to the International Olympic Committee that no major event would clash with the Olympics. The first step is to figure out the dates of the 2016 Olympics in Rio. If it were held in its normal time frame, it would clash with the PGA Championship.
The PGA of America, which stages the PGA Championship the second week in August, already has offered to move up to the last week in July.
The Olympics will take up two weeks for golf _ one week for the men, one week for the women. The LPGA Tour added a fifth major at the Evian Masters in France (which is held this week). The Women's British Open this year has moved to September.
The 2016 schedule isn’t the only thing under review.
Dawson said the IGF planned to take another look at the format for when golf returns to the Olympics for the first time in more than a century. When it put together its proposal, the format was for 72 holes of stroke play, with medal awarded only to individuals.
“I think we all had this at the back of our mind at the start, `Wouldn’t it be nice to make the Olympic competition a little bit different, at least from the week in, week out competition?’” Dawson said.
He believes that a standard 72-hole event of stroke play is the best way to determine a champion, though the idea of an element of match play, or a team competition, has been raised and “it’s those areas we’ll be having a look at.”
“Golf’s bid was based on individual competition,” he said. “In order for that to be changed _ and I’m not sure that it ought to be changed _ but if it were to be, we’d have to get agreement from the IOC sports department.”
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- House pushes through two-year Ryan-Murray budget deal
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Rand Paul: Budget deal 'shameful,' 'huge mistake'
- N. Korean news agency: Kim Jong Un's uncle executed
- U.S. debt jumps a record $328 billion tops $17 trillion for first time
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Chef Mary Moran discusses the food we eat, where it comes from and what it does for us.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow