- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Joe Jacoby joins concussion lawsuit against NFL
Legendary Redskins lineman cites ‘traumatic impacts’ in court filing
A founding member of “The Hogs” offensive line, Jacoby played on four Super Bowl teams from 1981-93 and was named to the NFL’s All-Decade team for the 1980s. He is the fifth member of the team’s Ring of Fame to sue over concussions, joining Len Hauss, Billy Kilmer, Dexter Manley and Art Monk. Mark May is the other original member of “The Hogs” to sue.
Filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Jacoby’s suit said he “sustained repeated traumatic impacts to his head and/or concussions on multiple occasions.”
The NFL has repeatedly maintained the lawsuits are without merit.
Ten other former Redskins, including running back Mike Thomas, linebacker Greg Jones and linebacker Shawn Barber are included in the seven new lawsuits.
There are now 119 lawsuits involving 2,990 ex-players, according to a review by The Washington Times. Over 200 former Redskins are among the plaintiffs.
Five-time Pro Bowl running back Ricky Watters, who played for the Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks, is the lead plaintiff in Jacoby’s lawsuit.
Jacoby, 53, is an assistant coach with Shenandoah University’s football team in Winchester, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Declassified cables from Berlin Wall tell tale of drama, dare,
- Judge denies settlement motion in NFL concussion lawsuit
- Jay Gruden's long and winding road to Washington
- FENNO: Championship game provides an opportunity to listen to those who play
- FENNO: For Redskins, nonsensical is the new normal
Latest Blog Entries
Extra charge on the bill reminds everyone who's paying
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again