- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Joe Jacoby joins concussion lawsuit against NFL
Legendary Redskins lineman cites ‘traumatic impacts’ in court filing
Question of the Day
A founding member of “The Hogs” offensive line, Jacoby played on four Super Bowl teams from 1981-93 and was named to the NFL’s All-Decade team for the 1980s. He is the fifth member of the team’s Ring of Fame to sue over concussions, joining Len Hauss, Billy Kilmer, Dexter Manley and Art Monk. Mark May is the other original member of “The Hogs” to sue.
Filed in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, Jacoby’s suit said he “sustained repeated traumatic impacts to his head and/or concussions on multiple occasions.”
The NFL has repeatedly maintained the lawsuits are without merit.
Ten other former Redskins, including running back Mike Thomas, linebacker Greg Jones and linebacker Shawn Barber are included in the seven new lawsuits.
There are now 119 lawsuits involving 2,990 ex-players, according to a review by The Washington Times. Over 200 former Redskins are among the plaintiffs.
Five-time Pro Bowl running back Ricky Watters, who played for the Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks, is the lead plaintiff in Jacoby’s lawsuit.
Jacoby, 53, is an assistant coach with Shenandoah University’s football team in Winchester, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Declassified cables from Berlin Wall tell tale of drama, dare,
- Judge denies settlement motion in NFL concussion lawsuit
- Jay Gruden's long and winding road to Washington
- FENNO: Championship game provides an opportunity to listen to those who play
- FENNO: For Redskins, nonsensical is the new normal
Latest Blog Entries
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors