Monsignor sentenced to three to six years in abuse cover-up

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

PHILADELPHIA — The first U.S. church official convicted of covering up sex-abuse claims against Roman Catholic priests was sentenced Tuesday to three to six years in prison by a judge who said he “enabled monsters in clerical garb” to “destroy the souls of children.”

Monsignor William Lynn, the former secretary for clergy at the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, “helped many but also failed many” in his 36-year church career, Common Pleas Judge M. Teresa Sarmina said.

Monsignor Lynn, who handled priest assignments and child-sexual-assault complaints from 1992 to 2004, was convicted last month of felony child endangerment for his oversight of now-defrocked priest Edward Avery. Avery is serving up to five years in prison for sexually assaulting an altar boy in church in 1999.

“I did not intend any harm to come to [Avery’s victim]. The fact is, my best was not good enough to stop that harm,” Monsignor Lynn said. “I am a parish priest. I should have stayed [one].”

Monsignor Lynn’s lawyers had sought probation, arguing that few Pennsylvanians serve long prison terms for child endangerment and that their client shouldn’t serve more time than abusers like Avery. They plan to appeal the landmark conviction and seek bail while the lengthy appeals process unfolds.

The judge said the monsignor enabled “monsters in clerical garb … to destroy the souls of children, to whom you turned a hard heart.”

She believed he initially hoped to address the sex-abuse problem and perhaps drafted a 1994 list of accused priests for that reason. But when Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua instead had the list destroyed, Monsignor Lynn chose to remain in the job and obey his bishop — by keeping quiet — as children suffered, she said.

“You knew full well what was right, Monsignor Lynn, but you chose wrong,” Judge Sarmina said.

The 61-year-old priest was acquitted last month of conspiracy and a second endangerment count involving a co-defendant, the Rev. James Brennan. The jury deadlocked on a 1996 abuse charge against the Rev. Brennan, and prosecutors said Monday that they would retry him.

In 1992, a doctor told Monsignor Lynn’s office that Avery had abused him years earlier. Monsignor Lynn met with the doctor and sent Avery for treatment — but the church-run facility diagnosed an alcohol problem, not a sexual disorder. Avery was returned to ministry and sent to live at the northeast Philadelphia parish where the altar boy was assaulted in 1999.

Prosecutors who spent a decade investigating sex-abuse complaints kept in secret files at the archdiocese and issued two damning grand jury reports argue that Monsignor Lynn and unindicted co-conspirators in the church hierarchy kept children in danger and the public in the dark.

“He locked away in a vault the names of pedophile priests. He locked in a vault the names of men that he knew had abused children. He now will be locked away for a fraction of the time he kept that secret vault,” District Attorney Seth Williams said of Monsignor Lynn.

Defense lawyers have long argued that the state’s child-endangerment statute, revised in 2007 to include those who supervise abusers, should not apply to the monsignor since he left office in 2004. They also insist he did more than anyone at the archdiocese to meet with victims, get pedophile priests into treatment and send recommendations to the cardinal.

“He did the best he could under absolute awful circumstances,” lawyer Thomas Bergstrom said after the hearing. “If he wanted to play the game, he wouldn’t have met with them at all.”

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks