- - Wednesday, July 25, 2012

CHICAGO — The City Council overwhelmingly approved an ordinance that allows operators of food trucks to cook onboard.

Under the ordinance, food trucks can’t park closer than 200 feet from a restaurant entrance unless they are in designated food-truck parking spots. Food trucks also will be required to have GPS to track their movements.

Chicago is known for high-end restaurants but has lagged behind other cities when it comes to the food truck craze.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and the city’s aldermen say the ordinance approved Wednesday is a good first step to expand the industry.

The trucks have been able to operate in Chicago, but chefs couldn’t cook and prepare food in their vehicles.

Chicagoan vows to block Chick-fil-A over marriage

CHICAGO — A Chicago alderman, angered by the president of Chick-fil-A’s comments about supporting traditional marriage, said he will block the company from building a restaurant in his ward.

Alderman Joe Moreno said Wednesday that unless the company comes up with a written anti-discrimination policy, Chick-fil-A will not open its first free-standing restaurant in the city as it plans to do.

“They have nothing on the books that says they do not discriminate, and they are open to everyone,” said Mr. Moreno, whose ward is on the northwest side. “I want to see that policy before they go forward.”

Mr. Moreno said holding up construction would be as simple as refusing to introduce an ordinance to subdivide the land where Chick-fil-A wants to build.

He said he was not worried about being sued, saying there are well-documented traffic and congestion issues in the Logan Square neighborhood that he could raise to justify his decision.

OHIO

One suspect pleads guilty in plot to blow up bridge

AKRON — One of five men charged with plotting to bomb an Ohio highway bridge pleaded guilty Wednesday and agreed to testify against his co-defendants.

Anthony Hayne, 35, of Cleveland, who has a criminal record for theft and breaking and entering, pleaded to all three counts against him in U.S. District Court. His attorney, Michael O’Shea, said Hayne hopes to get leniency in return for his testimony.

Under the terms of the surprise plea deal, Hayne will have the chance to avoid a life prison term. With the plea and offer of testimony for the prosecution, he could face 15 years to nearly 20 years in prison.

“I don’t think any of these guys intended harm to human beings,” Mr. O’Shea said. “I think they just thought this was a way of making some sort of political statement. But I’m relatively confident none of these people had any desires to actually hurt anybody.”

U.S. Attorney Steven M. Dettelbach said the government would now turn its attention to proving the case against the other four men.

The five were charged with plotting to bomb a bridge linking two wealthy Cleveland suburbs by placing what they thought were real explosives at the site and repeatedly trying to detonate them using text messages from cellphones, according to the FBI affidavit.

TEXAS

Judge: Fort Hood suspect could be forcibly shaved

FORT HOOD — An Army psychiatrist charged with killing 13 people in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood will be forcibly shaved if he doesn’t remove his beard himself, a judge said Wednesday.

Maj. Nidal Hasan appeared in court Wednesday sporting a beard as he had during a court appearance last month. The beard violates Army regulations, but Maj. Hasan said it is an expression of his Muslim religion.

Until last month, he had been clean-shaven every time he attended court.

The judge, Col. Gregory Gross, held Maj. Hasan in contempt of court for keeping the beard and fined him $1,000. Fort Hood spokesman Chris Haug said Col. Gross gave Maj. Hasan the choice to shave on his own or be forcibly shaved sometime before his court-martial begins Aug. 20.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide