- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
- Obama economy: Rich get richer, as millionaires’ list grows
- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
- Spain, Morocco break up jihadist recruitment cell, arrest 7
- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
LA Court filings detail concerns for Jackson mom
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Court filings show Tito Jackson’s son expressed concerns that Michael Jackson’s mother was being prevented from returning to Los Angeles, and that there were efforts by other family members to remove the pop superstar’s children from their home.
The filings released late Wednesday include statements by TJ Jackson about family matriarch Katherine Jackson.
The filings also detail an early morning incident Wednesday in which new security guards arrived at the home where Michael Jackson’s children live and asked where they go to school.
The filings state the question prompted concerns about their safety and the children did not attend school on Wednesday.
A judge has appointed TJ Jackson as temporary guardian over the three children, who range in ages from 10 to 15, until Katherine Jackson returns from Arizona.
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.
A judge on Wednesday stepped into the turmoil roiling the Jackson family, appointing the son of Tito Jackson to serve as temporary guardian of Michael Jackson’s children in the absence of the family matriarch and in the midst a feud over the pop superstar’s estate.
Superior Court Judge Mitchell Beckloff temporarily suspended Katherine Jackson as the children’s guardian because she was in Arizona and hadn’t spoken with them in several days. He appointed Tito Joe “TJ” Jackson to serve as temporary guardian with the ability to control the hilltop home where the children live and to take on other supervision duties.
Beckloff said there was no evidence that Katherine Jackson had done anything wrong but instead it appeared she was being prevented from fulfilling her role as guardian through the “intentional acts of third parties.” He didn’t elaborate.
He also said the children _ Prince, Paris and Blanket _ cannot be taken outside California without court approval.
However, her attorney Perry Sanders Jr. said after the hearing that he spoke with his client as she was driving back to Los Angeles from Tucson, Ariz., where she had been since July 15.
“She sounded absolutely fine, lucid and her normal self,” he said.
The developments came after days of turmoil among the Jackson family that included a relative reporting Katherine Jackson missing before she was located safely with other family members in Arizona and an altercation between relatives on Monday.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- PRUDEN: Sink sank own campaign in Florida special election
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again