Checking in on athletes from the District, Maryland and Virginia in the London Olympics
IN THE SPOTLIGHT
Matt McLean (Sterling) swam the second leg for the U.S. in the 4x200 freestyle relay heats, setting up the team for a gold medal run in the final later Tuesday. Though McLean didn’t swim in the final, he’ll receive a medal for his role in getting the U.S. that far.
OTHERS OF NOTE
* Karen O'Connor (The Plains, Va.) finished ninth in equestrian individual eventing after entering the final day of competition tied for 24th. Will Coleman (Gordonsville, Va.) finished 37th among 74 riders.
* Margot Shumway and Sarah Trowbridge of the Potomac Boat Club finished second in the women’s double sculls repechage, earning the final spot in Friday’s six-boat ‘A’ final that will determine medals in the event.
* Shannon Taylor (Midlothian, Va.) scored the only goal as the U.S. field hockey team beat Argentina 1-0.
* Farrah Hall (Annapolis) finished 18th in one race and 22nd in another as women’s RS-X (windsurfing) got underway. There are 10 preliminary races through Sunday, after which the top 10 racers move on to Tuesday’s final.
* Pops Mensah-Bonsu (George Washington) had 13 points and 12 rebounds in Britain’s 67-62 loss to Brazil in men’s basketball group play. Tony Skinn (George Mason) scored nine points as Nigeria fell 72-53 to Lithuania.
By Jay Sekulow
The left's outrage over the IRS turns to a plea to 'move on'
Independent voices from the TWT Communities
News and opinion from a Millennial Urbanite with Southern sensibilities,
Politics and pop culture from the perspective of an independent hip-hop conservative
Positive propaganda for a nation in peril.
Al Maurer provides a common sense, conservatarian, Constitutional conservative perspective from the battleground state of Colorado
World's Ugliest Dog Contest
Spelling Bee finale
Marines train Afghan soldiers
Rolling Thunder 2013
Benghazi: The anatomy of a scandal