PSU top RB Silas Redd to Southern California

STATE COLLEGE, PA. (AP) - An early-morning rally and last-minute social media campaign couldn’t keep star tailback Silas Redd from leaving Penn State for Southern California.

The 1,200-yard rusher opted Tuesday to leave a Nittany Lions program facing heavy NCAA sanctions handed down because of the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal. Among the penalties was a four-year postseason ban and scholarship declines.

The NCAA gave Penn State players the option to transfer immediately and play for another school this year. Redd visited USC over the weekend and heard coach Lane Kiffin’s pitch to be a key cog for a Trojans team expected to be highly ranked and contend for the Pac-12 title. The junior with the dazzling spin move will have two years of eligibility.

“We welcome Silas Redd to the Trojan Family,” USC athletic director Pat Haden said in a statement. “He is an outstanding student and athlete.”

A Tuesday in Happy Valley that began with more than 2,500 fans showing up at dawn to greet the Nittany Lions for offseason workouts ended with disappointment. Penn State fans had taken to the Twitter hashtag “StaySilas” to try to convince Redd to spurn USC.

Now Nittany Lions coach Bill O'Brien may need to rely on a converted wideout, sophomore Bill Belton, to carry the load at tailback instead of one of the Big Ten’s best rushers. Redd became the second player to leave Penn State for a new program since the sanctions were announced July 23.

Penn State said later Tuesday that tight end Kevin Haplea was also no longer with the team. It was unclear where the junior, who started one game last year, was headed.

Backup safety Tim Buckley, a former walk-on, was the first player to leave Penn State in the wake of the sanctions. He joined North Carolina State on Monday.

And then, there is the case of Rob Bolden, the former starting quarterback, who was dropped from the roster this week as well. But Bolden was granted permission to speak to other schools before the NCAA sanctions were handed down, and the demoted signal-caller last year had also pondered leaving.

LSU has shown interest in Bolden, but he’s yet to choose a destination.

O'Brien said last week at Big Ten media days in Chicago that he didn’t anticipate losing any core players. It took less than a week for that to change.

Still, Penn State has fared relatively well in terms of roster defections, especially given the severity of the NCAA penalties. While Redd was Penn State’s top offensive weapon, O'Brien hasn’t lost any other starters or top backups.

O'Brien had also said last week at Big Ten media days that more than 50 players had said they would stay. Six 2013 recruits have also reaffirmed their verbal commitments.

Penn State athletic director Dave Joyner wished Redd and the other transfers well. “I think that certainly we understand and it’s within their purview,” Joyner said in an interview Tuesday night with The Associated Press at an evening football function.

He added the low number of transfers was “a great testament to Bill O'Brien, and the kind of person he is, the kind of coach he is and the kinds of players these are overall.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player