Rees, Calabrese suspended for Notre Dame opener
SOUTH BEND, IND. (AP) - Notre Dame suspended quarterback Tommy Rees and linebacker Carlo Calabrese for the Sept. 1 season opener against Navy in Ireland on Tuesday, nearly two months after they were arrested following an off-campus party and charged with resisting arrest.
“Carlo and Tommy put themselves in a situation that when given a choice between two distinct paths, they responded with a set of poor decisions,” he said. “This conduct was inconsistent with my expectations for our football program - especially our veteran, team leaders. Carlo and Tommy will not travel with the team to Ireland and can attempt to climb the depth chart following the conclusion of their respective suspensions.”
Rees was pepper-sprayed and arrested after he ran away from an off-campus party on May 3 and knocked the wind out of a police officer who caught up to him. Calabrese, a senior, was charged with a misdemeanor count of intimidation after police said he twice told officers, “My people will get you.”
Rees pleaded guilty last week to misdemeanor resisting law enforcement and illegal consumption of alcohol by a minor. The 20-year-old junior was sentenced to 50 hours of community service and 11 months of probation and he apologized for his actions.
Rees, who is from Lake Forest, Ill., started 12 of 13 games as the Irish went 8-5 last season after starting four games as a freshman in the 2010 season. He was among four players competing during Notre Dame’s spring practices for the starting quarterback spot this coming season.
Calabrese, who is from Verona, N.J., was a backup linebacker who played in every game last year after starting eight games as a sophomore during the 2010 season.