- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
London unveils Europe’s tallest building — for now
Question of the Day
LONDON (AP) — Europe's tallest building has been officially unveiled in London, but its tenure as the Continent's highest skyscraper will be brief.
The Shard, a 95-story tower that stands 1,016 feet high, dwarfs almost everything around it, including nearby Tower Bridge and St. Paul's Cathedral.
It was officially named Thursday as the highest tower in Europe in a ceremony carried out by Britain's Prince Andrew, the Duke of York.
However, it is expected to be surpassed before the end of the year by Russia's planned 1,089-foot Mercury City Tower.
Named for its resemblance to a sliver of glass, the Shard is to include apartments, offices, restaurants and a five-star hotel.
Developer Irvine Sellar says the giant building will prove to be a success, despite Britain's sluggish economy.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- 9-year-old girl dies from brain-eating amoeba
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Economists see signs of another market bubble
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs