- The Washington Times - Friday, June 1, 2012

A Fort Washington teenager was sentenced Friday for a shooting that severely injured a toddler who was struck in the face by a bullet while in his mother’s arms.

Devon Matos, 18, was sentenced to the maximum 25 years in prison after being convicted in April of two counts of assault, three handgun-related crimes and reckless endangerment for an August shooting that took place outside a Glenarden apartment.

Several residents were outside the apartment building Aug. 22 when two people began shooting, according to the Prince George’s County State’s Attorney’s Office. Shaneka Johnson was among them and ran inside with her 23-month old son Deondre when she heard gunshots. Once inside, she realized that her son had been shot in the face.

Prosecutors said the boy has a tracheotomy tube in place and faces several more surgeries, including a five-hour surgery scheduled for Monday. The boy is expected to spend a month in the hospital to recover.

Prosecutors said ballistics and video surveillance showed two people shooting toward where the Johnsons and others stood. Matos, who was 17 at the time of the shooting, turned himself in after the shooting.

“This was a very firm sentence for a completely senseless act and it sends the message that we will not tolerate this type of behavior,” Prince George’s County State’s Attorney Angela D. Alsobrooks said.