- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
California’s Crystal Cathedral gets new name
Question of the Day
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) — Southern California’s landmark Crystal Cathedral has been given a new name as the evangelical church transforms into a Catholic cathedral.
The iconic, glass-paned megachurch, founded by the Rev. Robert H. Schuller, was sold to the the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange last year. On Saturday, Bishop Tod Brown renamed it ChristCathedral during a priest ordination and named the Rev. Christopher H. Smith to the top post of the new church.
The Garden Grove cathedral’s name came after more than 4,100 submissions from Catholics all over the world.
Mr. Schuller retired in 2006 after seeing his ministry, which began at a drive-in movie theater, evolve into a global televangelist empire. But after a botched leadership transition to his son, donations began to plummet, and in 2010 the Crystal Cathedral sought bankruptcy protection.
The diocese bought the 2,900-seat church and its grounds for $57.7 million. It will have to renovate the building for Catholic worship before services can begin.
Meanwhile, the Crystal Cathedral congregation, which will be moving about a mile away to St. Callistus Catholic Church in June 2013, will have to renovate that church for the “Hour of Power” broadcasts.
“And now, as it turns out, the cathedral is going to be named ChristCathedral,” he said.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
- Prevention of school massacre shoots down arguments for Colorado gun control laws
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- CARUSO: Driving off Russian aggression with U.S. natural gas
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow