- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
- House votes down resolution to force Issa to apologize
- Kremlin blocks opposition websites; Kasparov fears Putin plans ‘something drastic’
- Saving trees? EPA wastes $1.5 million storing unneeded pamphlets in warehouse
- Scott Brown Senate bid in New Hampshire may launch soon
- Jeffrey Corzine, son of ex-N.J. governor, dead at 31
- Australian surfing magazine sorry for calling indigenous surfer ‘apeish’
- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
California’s Crystal Cathedral gets new name
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) — Southern California’s landmark Crystal Cathedral has been given a new name as the evangelical church transforms into a Catholic cathedral.
The iconic, glass-paned megachurch, founded by the Rev. Robert H. Schuller, was sold to the the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange last year. On Saturday, Bishop Tod Brown renamed it ChristCathedral during a priest ordination and named the Rev. Christopher H. Smith to the top post of the new church.
The Garden Grove cathedral’s name came after more than 4,100 submissions from Catholics all over the world.
Mr. Schuller retired in 2006 after seeing his ministry, which began at a drive-in movie theater, evolve into a global televangelist empire. But after a botched leadership transition to his son, donations began to plummet, and in 2010 the Crystal Cathedral sought bankruptcy protection.
The diocese bought the 2,900-seat church and its grounds for $57.7 million. It will have to renovate the building for Catholic worship before services can begin.
Meanwhile, the Crystal Cathedral congregation, which will be moving about a mile away to St. Callistus Catholic Church in June 2013, will have to renovate that church for the “Hour of Power” broadcasts.
“And now, as it turns out, the cathedral is going to be named ChristCathedral,” he said.
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- Warren Buffett's son to spend $23.7 million in effort to save South African rhinos
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again