- Obama to Central American leaders: I need help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
California’s Crystal Cathedral gets new name
Question of the Day
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (AP) — Southern California's landmark Crystal Cathedral has been given a new name as the evangelical church transforms into a Catholic cathedral.
The iconic, glass-paned megachurch, founded by the Rev. Robert H. Schuller, was sold to the the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange last year. On Saturday, Bishop Tod Brown renamed it Christ Cathedral during a priest ordination and named the Rev. Christopher H. Smith to the top post of the new church.
The Garden Grove cathedral's name came after more than 4,100 submissions from Catholics all over the world.
Mr. Schuller retired in 2006 after seeing his ministry, which began at a drive-in movie theater, evolve into a global televangelist empire. But after a botched leadership transition to his son, donations began to plummet, and in 2010 the Crystal Cathedral sought bankruptcy protection.
The diocese bought the 2,900-seat church and its grounds for $57.7 million. It will have to renovate the building for Catholic worship before services can begin.
Meanwhile, the Crystal Cathedral congregation, which will be moving about a mile away to St. Callistus Catholic Church in June 2013, will have to renovate that church for the "Hour of Power" broadcasts.
Father Smith told the Los Angeles Times that at a recent meeting with Mr. Schuller, the televangelist said he always had Jesus Christ in mind when conceptualizing the church.
"And now, as it turns out, the cathedral is going to be named Christ Cathedral," he said.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq