- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Indiana Gov. Daniels: Public sector unions a ‘bad idea’
Question of the Day
Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels said Sunday he would like to see public sector unions’ power curtailed because “government works better without them.”
While calling organized labor a “necessary freedom” in the private sector, the Republican governor told “Fox News Sunday” they were a “bad idea in government.”
“I think we’ve seen through its excesses … now visible to voters almost everywhere that [public sector organized labor] really needs to be brought under some sort of control in the interest of the people who pay the taxes,” he said.
Mr. Daniels said that while Wisconsin GOP Gov. Scott Walker’s successful beating back of a recall effort last week shouldn’t be considered a “watershed,” he said it was a turning point in “trying to address the balance” between public sector unions and local governments.
The Indiana governor added that organized labor’s problems didn’t start with Mr. Walker.
“There’s been a 40- or 50-year decline in union membership. The world of work has changed, workers have changed, and I don’t think unions have changed as sufficiently to go with them,” he said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Sean Lengell covers Congress and national politics and can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GOP tests Democrats on college loan issue
- Lawmakers outside intelligence loop get miffed about briefing structure in Congress
- John Boehner: Time is right to bring latest farm bill to House floor
- Supreme Court nears rulings on key voting rights cases
- N.J. Gov. Christie picks state A.G. to fill U.S. Senate seat
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors