- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
EURO 2012 LIVE: France vs. England
Question of the Day
1842: Joe Hart makes a superb reflex save from Alou Diarra’s header but he is beaten moments later _ and maybe could have done better. Franck Ribery plays the ball to Samir Nasri, who knocks the ball onto his right foot before letting fly with a shot identical to the one that was inches wide of goal earlier in the half, except this time it sneaks inside Hart’s near post. That’s two scorers from English champion Manchester City.
1832: Steven Gerrard whips a free kick into the area and Joleon Lescott is first to reach the ball, directing his header into the back of the net from close range to give England the lead after 30 minutes.
1829: FRANCE 0, ENGLAND 1 (Lescott)
1823: Welbeck is down holding his ankle and looks in pain. He goes up for a header with Adil Rami, who accidentally lands on the England player’s left ankle. That looked painful. Welbeck had an injury to his ankle in the run-up to the tournament but will be OK to play on, it seems.
1818: James Milner misses a great chance to give England the lead. Young plays him through one-on-one with Lloris and he rounds him with his first touch but takes the ball a fraction too far wide. He has an open goal to aim at, but hits the side-netting from an acute angle. He slams his fist on the ground in frustration. Best chance of the game so far.
1814: France has started the stronger. Terry intervenes to keep Benzema at bay before Nasri shoots just wide minutes later. England goalkeeper Joe Hart also fails to hold a relatively routine catch from a corner. Early nerves?
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq