- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
- CIA admits $3 billion intelligence operation was a flop
Heads-up play lifts Ukraine over Sweden
England, France tie 1-1 in Group D
Shevchenko got a standing ovation as he left the pitch when substituted with 10 minutes remaining and celebrated with arms aloft in front of his adoring fans after the final whistle.
Russia also was on officials’ minds in Poland before a potentially tense day Tuesday in Warsaw where the Group A leader plays the co-host. City authorities played down fears of clashes based on the two countries’ troubled political history, and violence involving Russian fans in Wroclaw last Friday.
England took the lead when captain Steven Gerrard curled in a free kick from the right and defender Joleon Lescott rose to head past goalkeeper Hugo Lloris.
France soon equalized when Samir Nasri fired in a low shot, which beat the dive of ‘keeper Joe Hart, his Manchester City teammate.
With 19 attempts on goal to England’s three — and Lescott’s strike the only one on target — France appeared unlucky not to win.
“In the second half, I think we could have scored a second goal,” France coach Laurent Blanc said. “But overall, I think it’s a fair draw for both sides.”
By Brahma Chellaney
Beijing's creeping aggression signals a challenge to U.S. presence in the Asian Pacific
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- Tech companies call for an end to NSA online snooping
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Mike Shanahan says he'd like to return; RG3 might be benched
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Brazen, leading-edge, “call it like it is” columns and reporting from Ohio native, radio host and writer, Sara Marie Brenner.
Let’s talk about everything, especially the absurdity of it all
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Never apologetic. Never afraid. Lieutenant Colonel Allen B. West joins Communities to bring tales from the biggest Foxhole of them all, the one inside the Beltway.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow