- Associated Press - Monday, June 11, 2012

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. team that tried for more than a month to negotiate a reopening of blocked Pakistani supply routes into Afghanistan is coming home without an agreement, Pentagon press secretary George Little said Monday.

The U.S. recalled the team after the top Pakistani general refused to meet with a top Defense Department official, Mr. Little said.

“We remain ready to conclude this agreement as soon as Pakistan is ready,” said U.S. Embassy spokesman Robert Raines in Islamabad. Officials in Washington and Islamabad would not detail what led to the break in the talks.

Pakistan closed the key supply routes in November in retaliation for a U.S. air assault that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers. The routes through Pakistan were an important means of getting U.S. war materiel into Afghanistan. Since then, NATO and the U.S. have been using a circuitous northern route to bring supplies into troops fighting there.

Part of the U.S. team left Islamabad over the weekend, Mr. Little said. Mr. Raines said the remainder left Monday.

Mr. Little said they were prepared to return on short notice if circumstances change.

A senior Defense Department official, Peter Lavoy, talked to senior Pakistani officials over the weekend but was not allowed to meet with Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, chief of the Pakistani army.

The Pakistani Foreign Ministry declined to comment.

Meanwhile, the No. 2 commander in Afghanistan, U.S. Army Lt. Gen. Curtis Scaparrotti, acknowledged the troubled Washington-Islamabad relationship but said the closed border has not affected his operations.

Gen. Scaparrotti said commanders are “working very hard” to improve the military-to-military relationship between the two countries and get it back to where it was before the November killings.

“We’re a fair ways from that right now,” he said.

But Gen. Scaparrotti said the U.S. has built alternative supply routes and has been able to get what it needs for the war despite the border closing. NATO last week finalized those agreements to move supplies through other countries.

“It’s not really affected us,” he told Pentagon reporters via a videoconference from Afghanistan.

The U.S. team negotiating with the Pakistanis was there for about six weeks, Mr. Little said, but he declined to say what progress it made in that time.

“A decision was reached that it was time to bring the team home for a short period of time,” he said. “Again, we’re ready to send them back at any moment.”

Story Continues →