- Associated Press - Monday, June 11, 2012

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Two U.S. students trapped in the New Zealand wilderness by a snowstorm trekked back out to safety after surviving their nine-day ordeal by rationing their meager supplies of trail mix and warming themselves in hot springs.

Alec Brown and Erica Klintworth, both 21, returned to the city of Christchurch on Monday after meeting up with members of a search team. The two were famished but otherwise in good shape, police said.

The students, on a foreign study program in New Zealand with the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point, planned to hike and camp for a few days at some hot springs on the country’s South Island. But heavy rains and a snowstorm during the Southern Hemisphere winter prevented the couple from being able to cross a river and return.

“Unfortunately, it rained and rained, day after day, and snowed,” Alec Brown wrote in an email to the Associated Press on Monday.

He said the nights were tough to take because the rain and sleet pounded down on the tarpaulin covering their sleeping hammock and the river roared — reminding them all the time of their predicament.

When they realized they were going to be stuck, they started rationing — “a biscuit and jelly one day,” Mr. Brown wrote, “and even less another.”

Mr. Brown’s mother, Lisa, of Inver Grove Heights, Minn., said she panicked when she first found out her son was missing.

“It’s too much for a mom,” she told the AP, “especially when they’re that far away. I just felt so helpless.”

She had faith that her son, an environmental science major, knew the outdoors well enough to survive, she said, adding that Miss Klintworth, who is studying graphic design, is a strong woman.

The couple’s ordeal began June 1 when friend Katie Jenkins, another UW student, dropped them off at a national park on the South Island’s West Coast so they could hike in and camp for a few days.

“They were just going to the hot springs to chill out and study for finals,” Miss Jenkins said, adding that she continued on with her own travels and didn’t realize the couple were missing until eight days had passed, which is when she raised the alarm.

The couple didn’t take much food — some carrots, rice, peanut butter and trail mix, according to police Sgt. Sean Judd, who coordinated rescue attempts. He said that after three days, a steady rain started.

“Then on Wednesday the snowstorm hit, and it got progressively worse,” Sgt. Judd said.

Mr. Brown said that soaking in the hot pools “helped keep us warm and slow energy loss.”

It wasn’t until Sunday, Mr. Brown said, that the river finally seemed safe enough to cross again. He and Miss Klintworth prepared for their hike out by cooking up a “good meal” of rice, marshmallows, peanut butter and chocolate, he said.

Story Continues →