- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Study: Women MDs paid less, even at same jobs
Question of the Day
CHICAGO (AP) - A new study says women physician-scientists are paid much less than their male counterparts. The salary difference over a career could pay for a college education, a spacious house, or even a retirement nest egg.
The study authors took into account factors that could affect salary, including choice of medical specialty and academic rank. They still found women earned on average about $12,000 less per year than men. Over a 30-year career, that adds up to more than $350,000.
They surveyed 800 doctors also working as researchers who had received prestigious federal grants. The results are being published in Wednesday’s Journal of the American Medical Association.
AP Medical Writer Lindsey Tanner can be reached at http://www.twitter.com/LindseyTanner
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll - Washington Times#.U9ZSgi7-CXU.twi
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- RAHN: When money mischief goes global
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq