- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
Foundation sells Hemingway’s suburban Chicago home
Question of the Day
OAK PARK, ILL. (AP) - The suburban Chicago house where Ernest Hemingway is believed to have written some of his earliest works will be converted back into a single-family home, but fans of the novelist are welcome to visit, the new owners said.
The Ernest Hemingway Foundation put the Oak Park property on the market in February and Kurt and Mary Jane Neumann closed a $525,000 deal on the home on Tuesday.
The foundation bought the house in 2001 in hopes of turning it into a cultural center but couldn’t make the finances work, according to John Berry, the group’s chairman. The home has been divided into three apartments since the 1930s.
Kurt Neumann says his family plans to make their new home available to visits by scholars and other Hemingway fans.
“We don’t want anyone to feel like we’re going to shutter it up or minimize the historical significance” he said. “We appreciate curiosity in the home. We just need to balance the reality that it’s going to be our family home.”
Hemingway’s mother, Grace, helped design the slate-blue, three-story stucco home, which they moved into in 1906. Ernest Hemingway lived there until he graduated from high school and left for a reporting job at the Kansas City Star. He is believed to have written some of his earliest works in his third-floor bedroom
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is 'torture'
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- White House readies for House GOP impeachment push: 'Foolish' to ignore
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq