- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Times wins SPJ award for Virginia quake coverage
Paper also wins in sports, features and criticism categories
• In daily newspaper features, Ben Birnbaum for “Diego’s Secret Just His Style.” The story was about Diego D’Ambrosio, a barber in Washington’s Dupont Circle neighborhood who cuts the hair of ambassadors from warring countries and congressmen from opposing parties but doesn’t take sides.
• In daily general news, Jim McElhatton for “Be A Star Witness, Escape Execution.” The story chronicled how Oscar Veal, a convicted contract killer for a large drug ring and murder-for-hire operation, avoided the death penalty and cut his 25-year sentence in half after cooperating with prosecutors and becoming a star witness for the government.
• Also in daily general news, Andrea Noble for “P.G. Ordinance Cracks Down on Clubs Beset by Violence.”
• In arts criticism, Emily Colette Wilkinson for “Depression Cast As A Manic Dog (Mr. Chartwell).”
• Also in arts criticism, Marion Elizabeth Rodgers for “‘Gatsby’ Author Gets Personal (F. Scott Fitzgerald: A Short Autobiography).”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- CURL: The modern GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- CPAC 2014: Straw poll signals Paul-Cruz showdown
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- U.S. deploys 12 F-16 fighter jets to Poland as exercise in response to Ukraine situation
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again